There’s nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.” Johann Sebastian Bach
When studying piano/keyboard at the Thirroul Academy of Music & Drama, students will be engaged in a learning program tailored to suit your individual needs regardless of age or ability level. This instrument is often regarded as a good beginner instrument for young children.
Thirroul Academy offers tuition in all styles of music from Rock to Classical and everything in between, depending on your interests. Tutors teach music theory and correct technique through pieces of music which cater to the student’s interests. Learning correct technique also prevents injury to muscles and tendons which can be caused by playing piano/keyboard incorrectly.
We are able to prepare students for the Australian Music Examination Board (AMEB) exams if they wish to complete music grades.
Piano tuition is available in individual, partner and group lessons.
Students attend weekly lessons that focus on the following:
- Music literacy including treble and bass stave notation
- Chords and how to use them
- Scales, keys and modes
- Music theory
- Understanding of Dynamics and Expressive Techniques
- Technical understanding and mastery of a number of styles
There are a range of performance opportunities available throughout the year provided by both our studio and other establishments and groups throughout the region. In the past, our students have performed at:
- Thirroul Academy of Music & Drama Showcase Concerts
- Thirroul Seaside & Arts Festival
- NSW Department of Education’s Southern Stars (by successful audition)
- NSW Department of Education’s Schools Spectacular (by successful audition)
- Scarborough Art Show
- AMEB Examinations
- Local Eisteddfods