“Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except the best” Henry Van Dyke
The study of singing at Thirroul Academy of Music & Drama specializes in the development of correct vocal technique through fun, dynamic lessons designed for each individual student.
Lessons cover a range of styles; Pop, Rock, R&B, Jazz, Musical Theatre and Classical Music. Students learn age appropriate repertoire that focuses on the development of specific skills; correct pitch placement, sound placement, correct breathing, articulation and phrasing and the stylistic manipulation of the voice.
Singing tuition is available in individual, partner and group lessons.
Students attend weekly lessons that focus on the following:
- Vocal warm-ups
- Correct vocal techniques
- Correct sound placement
- Building of musical knowledge
- Strengthening exercises for the diaphram
- Understanding of dynamic and expressive techniques
- The learning of performance material
- The development of performance skills
All students are encouraged to bring a USB Flash Drive to their lessons, on which they will receive a Thirroul Academy Vocal Warm-Up Package as well as backing tracks for at-home practice.
There are a range of performance opportunities available throughout the year provided by both our studio and other establishments and groups throughout the region. In the past, our students have performed at:
- Thirroul Academy of Music & Drama Showcase Concerts
- Thirroul Seaside & Arts Festival
- NSW Department of Education’s Southern Stars (by successful audition)
- NSW Department of Education’s Schools Spectacular (by successful audition)
- AMEB Examinations
- Local Eisteddfods
- Regional performances
Junior Vocal Ensemble
Our Junior Vocal Ensemble is open to all students in Year 3-7. The class focuses on the development of ensemble singing skills focusing on blending, harmonies, technique and performance skills.
This group of enthusiastic singers meet for a session of singing with friends in a relaxed environment led by Ruth Ellevsen. The group rehearses Tuesday evenings and singers of all styles, ages and levels or experience are welcome.