Here is one way to start
Have the right environment to practice in. No distraction if possible and access to pencils, media and a comfortable chair or area to practice in.
- Making sure you warm up. Not just for singers but also instrumentalists.
- Have a goal for each practice session. eg. Focus on getting technique, or intonation.
- Be realistic and aim to what can be achieved. Yes, you will be able to play ‘Stairway to Heaven’ but not in one week!
- Identify your weakness and then speak to your teacher in what exercises you need to perfect to be able to sing/play difficult passages
- It is more than the actual music. Learn your capabilities, improve your tone colour develop your confidence.
- Use pencils to write on your music. It provides reminders to sing/play a certain way.
- Record yourself and listen back. We sometimes cringe at how we sound but that is exactly what our audience hears.
- At the end of your practice, treat yourself to a reward.
How to practice effectively…for just about anything – Annie Bosler and Don Greene
Sorry, there were no replies found.