When studying drums at Thirroul Academy of Music & Drama, students will be engaged in a learning program tailored to suit their individual needs regardless of age or ability level. We offer tuition in all styles of music depending on your interests.
Tutors teach music theory and correct playing technique through pieces of music which suit the student’s interests.
A strong focus is placed on the development of technical skills which enable hands and feet to perform the movements required to play music fluently. Correct technique allows students to perform harder pieces sooner. Learning the correct technique also prevents injury to muscles and tendons which can be caused by playing the drums incorrectly.
Drum tuition is available in individual, partner and group lessons.
Students attend weekly lessons that focus on the following:
- Music literacy including standard drum notation
- Rhythm patterns and how to use them
- Music theory
- Understanding of Dynamics and Expressive Techniques
- Technical understanding and mastery of a number of styles
There is a range of performance opportunities available throughout the year provided by both our studio and other establishments and groups throughout the region. In the past, our students have performed at: •
- Thirroul Academy of Music & Drama Showcase Concerts
- Thirroul Seaside & Arts Festival
- NSW Department of Education’s Southern Stars (by successful audition)
- NSW Department of Education’s Schools Spectacular (by successful audition)
- Scarborough Art Show
- AMEB Examinations
- Local Eisteddfods